Here is the line up – 6 to 8 items from the following list
Green bell peppers
Fresh cut herb
Beans – purple, green, roma or yellow
We are having a good time working – the temps may be hot but the air is clear. The high heat is pushing some of the veggies – many turning ripe – all at once. The tomato performance has been spotty – early heavy rains caused a bit of blossom end rot – so much of the first picking was tossed to the chickens. The second round is looking much better. The heirloom tomatoes will be ready around mid to late august. Beans are light – too much rain for them as well.
We are starting the fall plantings – more green squash , another round of yellow squash, Brussels sprouts , broccoli . cauliflower. The fall peas & leafy greens will go in soon.
As we wind up the summer – the family vacations are in full swing – remember you can send a friend , neighbor or workmate to pick up your box.
As always we love to have your recipes , comments & suggestions.
Have fun with your food
Yellow Squash Casserole
- 4 cups sliced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 35 buttery round crackers, crushed
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place squash and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour in a small amount of water. Cover, and cook until squash is tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well, and place in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cracker crumbs and cheese. Stir half of the cracker mixture into the cooked squash and onions. In a small bowl, mix together eggs and milk, then add to squash mixture. Stir in 1/4 cup melted butter, and season with salt and pepper. Spread into a 9×13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cracker mixture, and dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Creamy Dill Cucumber Toasties
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 French baguette, cut into 1/2 inch thick circles
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, dressing mix and mayonnaise.
- Spread a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture on a slice of bread, and top with a slice of cucumber. Sprinkle with dill. Repeat with remaining ingredients.