TODAY’S BOXES ARE VERY NICE – 6 TO 8 OF THE FOLLOWING ITEMS
LETTUCE RED OR GREEN
FRESH CUT HERBS
SOUP/SIDE BAG OF ROOT VEGGIES
RADISHES W/ TOPS
Farmers Fork- Farmer Pam
This week is the last week for winter pick up. We have certainly enjoyed everyone’s company, recipes & input for the winter season.
We are hoping the spring will be a little more ‘quiet’. A large 70 foot hoop house is located near the end of our house. We have spent many a night listening to the hoop house – ‘ woof & poof” – we were always glad to see it still standing in the morning . As the weather quiets down, we are able to hear more of the ‘night noises; the mating calls of the fox and skunks. The early morning light brings the bird calls. The frog peepers are adding their chorus to the symphony of the Earth.
Planting continues at a hectic pace as we drive fast to make up time lost to snow & cold. The broccoli, collards, cauliflower & spinach all love this cool & wet.
We started digging ramps today – they are a little small yet – but sure are tasty.
This Saturday April 21st is opening day for the Hollywood farmers market at 9801 Rhode Island avenue – College Park. Md. 9 a til 1 p – every Saturday utill November 17th. We hope to see some familiar faces there.
We thank you very much for your participation it the Calvert farm 2018 winter CSA. We look forward to seeing everyone in the spring.
Summer CSA information
If you have not sent in your reservation for spring – we do have a very few spots left on the Wednesday & Thursday truck.www.calvertfarm.com
Here is the schedule for first delivery for summer
On farm pick up – May 11/12
Sunday group at Baltimore JFX – may 13th – mothers day
Wednesday group – wed may 16th
Thursday group – Thursday may 17th
All Tuesday deliveries have been moved to Wednesday for the 2018 season.
Caprese Stuffed Chicken- from Delish
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place chicken on a cutting board and make 5 to 6 slits in each breast, being careful not to cut through completely. Transfer to a small baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil then season chicken all over with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Stuff each breast with mozzarella, spinach and tomatoes.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, about 25 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil then drizzle balsamic glaze on top.
Calley’s Sweet Potato Pie- food network
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- Maple Whipped Cream, optional, recipe follows
Maple Whipped Topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
Bake sweet potatoes for 1 hour in the oven on a baking sheet. When done, let cool. Scrape the pulp out of the skin, transfer to a large bowl, and mash. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and brown sugar until creamy. Add eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Add evaporated milk and stir mixture into sweet potatoes. Beat together with mixer until smooth and pour into an unbaked pie shell.
Bake on bottom rack of oven for 1 hour or until center of pie is firm. Serve warm. Add dollop of whipped cream if desired.
Maple Whipped Topping:
In a medium bowl, beat together whipping cream and confectioners’ sugar. Add maple syrup. Beat together until soft peaks form.