IN THE BOX
WE HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR VEGGIES THIS WEEK. YOUR BOX SHOULD HAVE 6-8 OF THE FOLLOWING ITEMS.
LETTUCE – GREEN OR RED
ONIONS – RED OR YELLOW
NICE BAG OF ROASTING VEGGIES
MUSHROOMS – CRIMINIS
HERB – PARSLEY, CHIVES OR ROSEMARY
POTATOES – YUKON OR RED
Down on the Farm
While everyone else is bundling up from the cold, the Farm is hard at work preparing for the upcoming season. Here are a few of the plants we have started and will make a great bounty.
Summer registration is here. We need you to sign up early, so that we make sure we get enough crop. Please fill out your summer registration form. You can grab it here.
Pea and Potato Planting Party
Calvert Farm is hosting a Pea and Potato Planting Party on Sat. Mar. 17. It will be from 10-2pm. Covered Dish lunch. Calvert will supply beverages, condiments, plates ect. This is a family event. No pets please.
Kale and Cucumber Salad with Roasted Ginger Dressing- Bon Appetite
8 ounces fresh ginger
1 green or red Thai chile
1 garlic clove
3 tablespoons fish sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 bunch small Red Russian kale, ribs and stems removed, leaves torn into bite-size pieces
1 English hothouse cucumber, very thinly sliced
3 Persian cucumbers, very thinly sliced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons sugar
1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
¼ cup store-bought fried onions
SAUTEED SWISS CHARD- Genius Kitchen
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch dry crushed red pepper
- 2 bunches swiss chard, stems trimmed, leaves cut into 1/2-inch-wide pieces
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice
- Melt butter and oil in heavy large pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper.
- Sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add swiss chard; stir to coat.
- Cover and cook until tender (stirring occasionally) about 8 minutes.
- Squeeze juice from 1/2 lemon onto chard.
- Season to taste with salt.