CSA ITEMS IN THE DELIVERY BOXES THIS WEEK. 6 TO 8 FROM THE FOLLOWING LIST .
CABBAGE – RED OR GREEN
SWEET BANANA PEPPERS
WINTER SQUASHES – ACORN, DELICATA, BUTTERNUT
LETTUCES RED OR GREEN
APPLES – MACINTOSH
2 medium weight frosts settled in on us in the past 10 days. We are glad to see the cooler weather. The tops of the summer veggies are starting to die back. The leafy greens are picking up – they like cooler temps.
We are hoping the brussel sprouts will be sweet enough to pick. Fall really is our strong suit.
The Calvert farm team spent a lovely Saturday in Getty Park in Silver Spring. We had our annual ‘pumpkins on parade’ event for the folks at our little farmers market. Plenty of pumpkins were snatched up, lots of cider was consumed – thanks to Mary Denise Smith for serving. Hats off to Sandra Marquardt, neighborhood association president and coordinator of the Getty park farmers market and her remarkable team – Gabby, Evan & Adam. We even had a nice visit from councilman Tom Hucker.
This week Calvert farm will host John & Verna Teasdale from the Bowie food bank to talk about food distribution for food pantries & and a trip to St. Mary Anne’s food pantry in North East, MD. Other activities include a wellness fair at Herr’s snack factory in Nottingham, PA.
Noodles with Carrots, Spinach, and Cabbage Mint- From Delish
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. tofu, sliced and pressed to remove water, then cut into cubes
- Cornstarch, for tossing tofu
- 1 lb. udon buckwheat noodles
- 2 c. baby spinach
- 1/4 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled into ribbons
- 1/4 c. sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. apple cider or rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- Fresh mint, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Toss cubed tofu in cornstarch to lightly coat. Cook tofu until golden and crispy, about 5 minutes, then transfer to a plate.
- Meanwhile, cook udon noodles in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Add spinach, cabbage, carrots, and cooked tofu to bowl and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, and mustard. Pour dressing into bowl and toss to combine until well coated.
- Divide noodles among four bowls and garnish with mint.
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for buttering the baking dish
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (3 to 4 large potatoes; about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
Special equipment: a 2-quart baking dish
For the filling: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 2-quart baking dish.
Whisk together the butter, mashed sweet potatoes, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and the eggs in a large bowl. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
For the topping: Combine the flour, brown sugar, butter and salt in a medium bowl until moist and the mixture clumps together. Stir in the pecans and spread over the top of the sweet potatoes in an even layer. Bake until mostly set in the center and golden on top, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve hot.