Shares This Week
(CSA members will receive 6-8 items from the following list)
Sweet Purple Bell Pepper
Sweet Green Bell Pepper
Sweet Yellow Banana Pepper
Purple, Yellow or Green Beans
Green Zucchini Squash
Patty Pan Squash
Sweet White or Red Candy Onions
Fresh Cut Herbs
Calvert Farms only uses non GMO Seeds. Sweet Yellow Banana Peppers are named for their shape and not the flavor. Purple, Yellow and Green Beans are cooked the same way. Radicchio is a small red and white ball- it is considered a bitter green.
The Farmers Fork ( by Farmer Pam)
As we hoe along through week 10 of the summer CSA, I think back to the wet and cold spring. The poor tomatoes got off to such a sad start and now they still struggle with the monsoon type rains. The mosquitoes are really becoming an issue- We have tubes of lotions, potions and unction’s laying around for immediate use. Oddly enough, we have great success with the raw juice from the Rhubarb cite- Just astringent enough! We are transitioning to the fall crops. We direct seed some of the crops but most are started in seed trays for better spacing in the fields. Although the asparagus is done for the season, we look forward to fall broccoli, spinach, lettuces and those late tomatoes. We look forward to nice fall season-Year 22 fro our CSA- Wow time flies!
Our Produce in Photos
Roasted Corn and brown rice medley from CSA member Rivka M. Share your pictures and recipes here
ROASTED BALSAMIC RADICCHIO
- Makes 4 servings
- 2 large heads of radicchio (about 1 pound total), halved through core end, each half cut into 3 wedges with some core still attached
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Balsamic vinegar (for drizzling)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Rinse radicchio wedges in cold water; gently shake off excess water (do not dry completely). Place radicchio in large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper; toss to coat.
- Arrange radicchio wedges, 1 cut side up, on rimmed baking sheet. Roast until wilted, about 12 minutes. Turn over and roast until tender, about 8 minutes longer.
- Arrange radicchio on platter, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and serve.
1. Heat oven to 450°F. Have a large rimmed baking sheet ready.
2. Toss all ingredients on baking sheet to mix and coat.
3. Roast 25 to 30 minutes, turning vegetables once, until tender and edges of onions are very lightly charred.
CUCUMBER SALAD WITH PEPPERS AND ONION RECIPE
From Taste of Home
- 3 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow peppers
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
In a large serving bowl, combine the cucumbers, onion and peppers. In a small bowl, whisk vinegar and sugar. Pour over vegetables; toss to coat. Chill until serving. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6 servings.
Down on the Farm
Poor little bird was trapped in the skylight in the barn kitchen. We were able to get a hold of her and help her out. Off she went to sit on the Gloriosa Daisies